An article from Do or Die Issue 9. In the
paper edition, this article appears on page(s)
Resisting the WTO
November 30th 1999
The mobilisation against the Third Ministerial Conference of the World
Trade Organisation (WTO) which took place in Seattle in November 1999 has been
hailed across the globe as a victory. For four days tens of thousands brought
chaos to the streets of Seattle, shutting down the Conference’s opening
ceremony, defying the National Guard and braving the tear gas. Meanwhile people
across the globe were taking co-ordinated action against a common enemy: the
Capitalism? No Thanks! We will burn your fucking banks!
In this section:
- November 30th, 1999: A Global Day of Action, Resistance,
and Carnival (p. 112)
- The original proposal for the Global Day of Action.
- Interview (p.
- Interview with a woman who has been involved in Earth First! (EF!) in the States
over the past few years and was involved in the mobilisation against the WTO
- Black Bloc
Communiqué (p. 125)
- An extract from a communiqué published by one section of
the black bloc in Seattle on November 30th.
- This Is
What Anarchy Looks Like (!?) (p.
- Reflections On Mass Protest In Amerika.
- Countdown to
the Battle of Seattle (p.
- An Incomplete Chronology.
Alert! (p. 134)
- The Revolution will not be Bolshevised.
- Resources and
Further Reading (p. 136)
- A listing of various magazines, books, websites, and videos
covering the Seattle protests.